20 02 2013

Here is the number two property problem:

Property is burgled

It’s tough for anyone to come home and find their belongings taken, especially if the door locks or windows have been broken, leaving the tenant vulnerable. The first thing to do is to get the tenant to report the crime to the police and secure a crime number. The tenant’s contents should be protected by their own insurance and this may include replacing the locks or broken windows. Alternatively, as it is your property, if the tenant doesn’t have insurance, then it’s worth fixing broken locks and windows and you may be able to claim on your own insurance. Unfortunately if the tenant hasn’t used all the locks provided, the insurance may not cover either of you.

The locks should be relatively easy to get fixed on the same day. If not, bolts can easily be fitted to the doors in the interim. Windows can be temporarily made safe via a carpenter or a glazing company who can fix on the same day. Ideally for double glazing, make sure they are FENSA registered.

For further information upon our full management services contact us on:

01782 478 444 stoke-on-trent@belvoirlettings.com




Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: